5 tips to begin and sustain a regular meditation practice
- Create a meditation space that is inviting
- Don’t judge your meditation skills, which may only increase your stress. Meditation takes practice.
- Keep in mind, for instance, that it’s common for your mind to wander during meditation, no matter how long you’ve been practicing meditation. If you’re meditating to calm your mind and your attention wanders, slowly return to the object, sensation or movement you’re focusing on.
- Mix it up – and you’ll likely find out what types of meditation work best for you and what you enjoy doing. Adapt meditation to your needs at the moment. You don’t always have to use the same approach. Remember, there’s no right way or wrong way to meditate. What matters is that meditation helps you reduce your stress and feel better overall.
- Don’t give up – If your mind is particular active during a meditation session – stick with it for the time you intended – The continued practice of guiding the mind back to the particular meditation focus for the session builds the ability to focus – after all – it is a practice.